Monday 29 October 2012

The Dreaded Miacup

I follow a few really lovely "green" beauty bloggers on Twitter and the current craze they're all talking about is a new menstrual companion called Miacup.


The concept is pretty easy to grasp. It's an alternative to tampons and pad's, where you insert a little purple 'cup' (5cm in length) which collects the menstrual blood like in any normal cycle. It has a suction feature which makes sure there are no leaks and your cup wont suddenly fall out while shopping. Once your Miacup is filled, you break the suction and empty the contents into the toilet like you usually would. You then rinse it in a basin and insert it again. You can read about it's features here.
Images from miacup.co.za

I understand the need for an "eco friendly" alternative (if you can call it that) to something you would just throw away. Unfortunately I find this concept rather horrible. They say the 'mess', when emptying your cup, is the same as if you were inserting a tampon but I am not convinced.

Let me give you a scenario; you're out in public and realize you haven't emptied your cup in a while (apparently you can go up to 12 hours without needing to empty the cup) so you run to the nearest restrooms. You pop into a cubicle and empty the cup but the situation has become a royal mess, "Crap! I need to rinse the cup". Just your luck, as you come out the cubicle to rinse it, there is now a queue and the room is filled with ladies. How embarrassing, having to hog a basin to rinse your bloody cup. *Cringe* Aaand then you have to get back in line, holding your little cup, so you can insert it again.

I am in no way bashing the idea and I'm sure some ladies need an alternative to tampons for health reasons but is this not re-inventing the wheel? I would love be in the mind of the person who invented this and view the thought process they went through and what was their reason for needing the Miacup.

^Was it because tampons and pads are expensive? Hellooo!? Life is expensive. Period. (lame joke...*noted*) by the way, the Miacup will set you back by R394.95.

^Was it purely because tampons make up a lot of waste in our sewage system? I'm sure a lot more ladies would accept the idea of a better disposing/refuse system rather than someone trying to convince them to wear a period collecting cup.

You can read more about Miacup by visiting their website for tips on how to insert it, remove and store it and any other questions you may have.

Ah! I feel that modern society is creating a world where its okay to think that if you buy a product like this, you're helping your environment and your health will improve or not be compromised. "Let me empty my Miacup before I go to the store to buy a carton of cigarettes". It's the same concept as buying a meal from MacDonalds and ordering a diet coke. I could go on for hours.

Am I just stupid and not really 'educated' on the subject or do you feel the same? I'd love to hear your thought's on Miacup and the general issue of companies selling "eco friendly" products to make you feel like "you need to do your part" in helping your environment.

Sjoe!

Miss Claira-Bella

Xoxo

P.S. The rant at the end of this post is in no way directed solely at Miacup. I am just using the Miacup as an example. Click this link for an interesting read.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there Claire :)

    I read about this a few years back, there is a huge company overseas that does it. It's the same thing but those were ones you could keep in for days. I think it's the mooncup or the diva cup. They do mention that you have to sanitize it often etc. I also think that for ladies who have access to bathrooms there is no reason not to use tampons, but if I were to go hiking for 4 days or camping, I would take the cup. I don't know why you can't keep this one in for long, because it's pointless that way.

    Still. It grosses me out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really dislike the idea. I'm sure it isn't healthy to keep it in for days at a time. The natural thing is for everything to fall out :)

      Delete
  2. I also remember reading an article on this a while back and gasped....washing out the cup in a basin everyone has to then use after you....How is that in any way sanitary?! ....I share the same thoughts you have Claire! Good on you to share this post and for being honest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! A big fat NO! Just the thought of it upsets me, and I am in a bad mood (I wonder why...?). Ha-ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I can handle a lot. Like really really a lot! But for some reason this just freaked me out! Go green, I have no problem with that! I recycle and buy eco friendly products myselfs...but this just kind of pushes it past the whole gray area of where to much is just to freakin much!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here :)