Monday 6 May 2013

Live Healthy: Choosing the right place

I'm adding another first world problem to my list, there are just too many options out there! Like honestly, why do we need five different brands of corn flakes!? And don't even get me started on cell phones. Geez


This post is for all the eager beavers like me. I will be giving friendly advice on how to choose the best gym for your needs and why you should wait before jumping into a contract.

I have had a nightmare of problems since joining my "un-named" gym and have decided to change to a different 'health club'. Looks can be ridiculously deceiving as this is how I got caught by said gym. The machines were in great condition, the facilities were always spotless and it had an overall appeal to it. However, once my signature was on the dotted line, all the problems unfolded. Disgusting service by reception, trainers and general management. Overall lack of assistance! I feel that if I pay for a service, I better get the best frikin service ever. Simple as that!

Here are a few tips I wish I had been told whilst shopping around for a gym.

1. Never settle on the first place you see. Look around and don't always stick with the big branded gyms like Virgin Active or Planet Fitness. Smaller, private gyms can also be just as good.

2. Ask for a week free training voucher. This will give you an idea as to what you may expect when actually joining. It can also assist you in estimating whether or not gym-ing can fit into your daily schedule. You wouldn't want to join and realize you don't actually have time for it.

3. Don't feel guilty to ask for free stuff. I see it as a little welcome gift and it is imperative if you want to feel a part of the gym. A gym towel, bag or water bottle that has the gym logo on can boost your motivation. It means you 'belong' somewhere. Also, if you are starting out, you might not have equipment such as a towel or gym bag so getting this as a 'starter kit' can be a much needed bonus. (I would totes join a gym if they gave me free stuff)

4. Make sure the staff are friendly, helpful and willing to go the extra mile to help you. It seems like a trivial, happy-clappy request but it really does make a difference. Having piece of mind knowing there is always someone to assist you, can help your whole gym experience.

5. Lastly, don't gym where everyone else gyms (this excludes best friends and close relatives). There's nothing worse that sweating like a pig, panting like a race horse and then bumping into someone you know, who then wants to chat for the next 30min! Then you start making up excuses not to go because, "I don't want to bump into her again". Rather make 'gym friends' who have already seen you at your lowest low.

I must say I am much happier at my new gym and it would have been my first choice if I had some tips like the ones above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here :)